History of the Fire Department
BeginningsThe Norton Fire Division was formed in 1943 and started answering calls in November of 1945. EMS service began in 1979. The first fire station was located under the town hall, which was located at the corner of Greenwich Road and Cleveland-Massillon Road.
ChiefsThe first Fire Chief was Glenn Kee, who served from 1944 to 1975. James Mills was Norton's first full-time Fire Chief, followed by Michael Antoniotti, and Keith Moore.
Chief Rodger Ramsthaler, who was with the department since June of 1973, took over as Fire Chief in July of 1998. He retired as Chief on March 31, 2006, then served the Department as a part-time lieutenant firefighter until June 2014.
Chief James Calco was hired to the City on April 3, 2006. Chief Calco came to the City of Norton after retiring from a long career as the City of Stow's District Fire Chief. Deciding to take his career in fire-fighting in a different path, Chief Calco resigned from his position on September 21, 2007 and Captain Mike Schultz assumed responsibilities as Interim Fire Chief. He was then hired to full-time Fire Chief on October 22, 2007.
In May of 2015, the Division shifted to a full-time manned station by promoting nine part-time firefighters to full-time status and filling for the first time the position of full-time Assistant Fire Chief. Having worked for the Division part-time since 1989, Firefighter / Medic Mike Copen was chosen to fill the position.
MembersThe fire division is responsible for protecting the lives and property of the citizens of Norton. All of our members are state certified EMT / firefighters.
To help us do our job, we have three advanced life support units, one of which carries all of our rescue equipment. We have three engines, one tanker, and two grass fire trucks. The Norton Firemen's Association donated one of the grass fire trucks in 2003.